The tourism industry is not a single productive industry but a wide range of companies, providing a variety of services. The tourism industry involves the development and production of products and services for consumers in both private and public sectors of the economy. The specialized, modern and complete knowledge that the graduates of the Department of Tourism will acquire give the opportunity for professional recognition and a successful career in the multidimensional and demanding branch of the tourism industry.
In particular, the graduates of the Department can be employed as:
- Executives of private tourism units and businesses (such as air carriers, shipping companies, cruise ships, hotels, catering and tourism companies, travel and tourism companies, travel agencies, event and conference companies, catering and distribution companies tourist destinations) in the fields of economy, administration, organization, research and sales
- Executives of the wider public sector (e.g. ministries, Greek National Tourism Organization), legal entities of public and private law and local government (offices of Regions, Municipalities, etc.) and these bodies in matters of tourism policy, development , planning, promotion and strategy of the standard but also of the special thematic tourism (e.g. marine, educational, medical, ecological and gastronomic tourism).
- Executives of tourist information centers, cultural heritage interpretation centers, museums, galleries, culture and leisure facilities, in the fields of development, design, and promotion of tourism products and services.
- Executives of sectoral and collective bodies and organizations of tourism (such as Greek Tourism Confederation, Hellenic Hoteliers Federation, Hellenic Chamber of Hotels, Hellenic Association of Travel and Tourist Agencies etc).
- Consultants of development companies and research offices in the wider field of tourism and culture, both at macroeconomic and microeconomic level.
- Scientific teaching and research staff at all levels of public and private education or training in tourism studies.
In addition, Department’s graduates will have the opportunity to run their own business or work as executives in technology organizations, creating enhanced technological tourism and cultural products and services, which are part of the creative economy.
Moreover, the Department’s graduates can fully meet the needs of monitoring research developments and innovations in technology and lifelong learning. They can also expand and further specialize their field of knowledge through postgraduate studies so as to obtain postgraduate academic degrees (M.Sc., Ph.D.) in Higher Education Institutions in Greece or abroad.